Recently, I learnt of something that I wonder why I never came across it before. Perhaps I had but never gave it much thought, or I simply just forgot, plain and simple.
Having created an additional Controlling Area (and Company Code) for a "Live" system and transported it to the Production server, I went about resetting the transported document number ranges ahead of the first posting. But for the life of me, I couldn't seem to find the Profit Center Accounting document number range for integration postings from Finance or Controlling.
This must be differentiated from document numbers for Local/Global document types within Profit Center Accounting.
So off to transaction code "SNUM" I go and trace the following object "COPCA_OBJ" only to find that numbers are assigned at the "Client" level and not "Controlling Area" level. (Hence, all Company Codes/Controlling Areas share the same number roll when a PCA document is posted.)
Thus, it goes without saying that this number range is never reset once the system has allocated its first document in an already "Live" system. Otherwise, after what will look like a bad error in a system dump log, you will need to track down the last document posted and restore the Status with that or a higher number from which number allotment will continue.
Shockingly simple. First a shock, then a simple fix.
Its been a while now, so I couldn't really remember myself. So I read the below post myself and it still works today. Except that I need to mention that it is just the table of contents below that you want.
So you will need to trim all of the redundant lines above as well as headers, footers and other inbetween blank lines. It also helps to set the font to "Arial monospaced for SAP" while getting your ducks in a row.
I am thinking of using this to build a giant matrix so that I can compare a certain section of configuration on multiple instances of what should have conformed to a template, but seemingly don't quite do so.